Lullaby

Last night we celebrated Earth Hour from 8:30-9:30 p.m. at our home in New Jersey.  What did it look like, you ask?  It looked dark, the flickering of a sage-scented candle the only light bouncing on the walls.  (Electric light seldom bounces; that alone is a reason to turn them off.)  Alright, I confess, I headed up to bed at 8:20, after a bit of bingeing on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, (Thanks to Matt and James who initiated me to the zany wonder of a resilient spirit!), and remembered as I settled in for the night—“Oh, my gosh, Earth Hour.”  This gave me the excuse I needed to place Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming, albeit reluctantly, aside and call down to my husband, “Hey, honey, it’s Earth Hour.  Would you turn off all the lights, and the t.v.,too?”  Being the best spouse ever, he complied, leaving Kimmy on hold for another day, and moved into the living room to practice guitar.

20150329_094008_resized-2

As I drifted off to strains of “Baby, Please Don’t Go,” and “Facist Architecture,” I realized we need a lot less light and a lot more music!

One thought on “Lullaby